Monday, April 30, 2012

Hong Kong Part 3

** Side note:  Most likely all of the people reading this blog know me and what/who is in my life.  With that being said my love is extremely supportive of me writing my thoughts and experiences here, but is a very private person and wants his involvement to be minimal.  Therefore, he will be known as the bf just in case strangers stumble upon my posts.

Day 4:

The only thing I was adamant about doing when I arrived in Hong Kong was to go to the Tian Tan Buddha.  I've been practicing yoga for the past 2+ years and have read many books on Buddhism, so going to see the Tian Tan Buddha was so very exciting.  However, visiting the Big Buddha was less of a spiritual experience and more of a tourist trap. Booo!

We started the day by taking the MTR to Lantau Island.  It was very windy and cloudy, but we decided to go for it and bought tickets for the Ngong Ping 360 gondola ride.  We splurged and bought a round trip in the "Crystal Cabin" where the bottom was made out of glass and we could see the beautiful blue green bay and mountains right below our feet.


We arrived at the Ngong Ping Village and headed straight to the Buddha.

 After hiking up the many stairs and taking in some absolutely breathtaking views we headed over to the Po Lin Monastery.



It was raining and cold so after the sightseeing we boarded the gondola and headed back to the MTR station.  FYI:  You are not allowed to bring your sheep or cattle with you in the gondola.


That night we went to Temple Street market and bought some more souvenirs.  I also spotted my FAVORITE restaurant (Hui Lau San) and the bf agreed to another night yummy of mango desserts.

More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Minus the tourist trap, was Buddah anything like you thought it would be?

    ReplyDelete