Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hong Kong Part 1

I recently returned home from an amazing trip to Hong Kong and it was quite the experience. My wonderful tour guide/boyfriend kept us very busy and I feel like we were able to see the best of what this country has to offer.

Day One:
I arrived in HK around 7pm (7am Eastern Time) and after 18 hours of travelling, I was exhausted!  So the bf met me at the airport (yes, even after only 3 months apart I still had butterflies in my tummy) and we headed to the hotel to check in.  We arrived in Mong Kok and went up to our room that was literally the size of a freshman dorm room; tiny, but adequate.  After grabbing a quick bite to eat we headed over to Central and went to the rooftop of the IFC building.  There we enjoyed the beautifully lit skyline and two bottles of wine. Mmmmm



Day Two:
Surprisingly, I wasn't too jet lagged the next day and we ventured out to the bf's University and current stomping grounds.  We walked to Kowloon City to grab some lunch at one of his favorite Thai restaurants.  (My poor feet were very achy after this trek, but I only developed one blister and by the end of the trip I could walk the whole island!  Well, maybe not the whole island...)

Shah Tin was the next destination and we visited the 10,000 Buddhas Temple.  As we walked up the hundreds of steps we took pictures with our favorite Buddhas and used that as an excuse to take a breather.  Once we reached the temple we heard the beautiful chanting of monks and could smell the strong scent of incense burning.  I had never been to a Buddhist temple before and even though it was extremely touristy, it was beautiful and well worth climbing all of those stairs.




That evening was spent down by the water walking The Avenue of the Stars, similar to America's Hollywood Boulevard.  The humidity had finally dropped and the breeze off the water was refreshing.  We came across a stall selling teriyaki octopus jerky that the bf had previously tried.  Being in the spirit of the adventure I tried the jerky too.  Although it wasn't as unappetizing as you would expect, I could only manage one bite and my partner in crime gladly devoured the rest.

To Be Continued...

1 comment: